Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Holiday Snapshot

One of the many anti-Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo rallies back in 2005:



Its one of the last spot news-type coverages I've done in years. That time though it wasn't for work - I had just come home to Manila for a quick vacation and was so homesick that I drove to the nearest rally to shoot it. That's how much I missed (and I still miss) the buzz of (democratic) chaos in the streets - I guess there's only so much clean Singapore one can take.

While the three or four thousand-strong crowd was rallying away, I was happily clicking away with a Fed 5B in one hand and stick of fishballs in the other. Oh, the nostalgia of my post-college-I-wanna-be-a-PJ days... back then I was photographing bomb threat laden anti-charter change rallies, glue-sniffing streetkids, drug addicts in rehab, EDSA dos, etc. That's serious stuff. Interesting stuff.

Yeah, it was vacation time for me. Of course, while I was playing, many of my colleagues were working. Check out the work of a friend who witnessed one of the most infamous events of '87:

http://www.gmanews.tv/htmfiles/mendiolamassacre.html

This guy's the real deal, and he's still out there shooting :)

No comments: