Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Who was your school bus driver?

Who comes to mind when you hear that question? For many Singaporeans it could well be Hock Seng:



The guy talks like he's shouting all the time, but he's very gentle with the kids. I wonder how he sounds like when he's actually shouting.

The school bus drivers I remember from childhood are:

Primo - Loves driving over potholes in Better Living Subdivision. Used to store a kris - that's a frickin' big Muslim sword - right behind the rearview mirror, and a lead pipe under his seat. Always ready for battle.

Mang Raul - He drove me and my posse through puberty. Had a stash of Abante tabloids in the glove compartment. Used to harass pretty tellers at the (pre-ePass) tollway stations.

Hmm... I wonder if Hock Seng carries a lead pipe under that seat...

Oh yeah, shot for Time Out Singapore's "What's it Like to be a School Bus Driver" article.

No comments: